Thursday, May 27, 2010

Home Made Laundry Detergent - Recipe included.


By now, you should know that I do the green living thing, partially out of environmentalist ideals, partially out of frugality, and then there's that whole side of me that says, "I can do that" or "there has to be another way."

Well, stepping up to the plate of "Let's figure this one out" is Home Made Laundry Detergent.

Along with the aforementioned reasons for green living, I also began this because of the cloth diapers we use. Most commercial detergents have softeners, or fragrances, or whiteners in them. Those things that make your laundry smell like a mountain lake, soft like a cloud and extra white, are actually not good for your laundry. Extra softeners can make your towels less absorbent. All of those things can actually. What makes the clothes softer is because the chemicals in the detergent are actually breaking down the fabric faster. So....

And when it comes to using cloth diapers, well you don't want a less absorbent diaper, or a diaper that is breaking down faster. You have to go for the bare minimum stuff.

So then began the hunt for a home made laundry detergent. My sister had made one, a powdered one, that never seemed to work. But I found this recipe. We made one batch, and we have been using it ever since.

The basic ingredients are a bar of soap, Borax, and Washing Soda. Note that Washing Soda is NOT the same as Baking Soda. Look for the box (it will be by Arm and Hammer most likely) that say Super Washing Soda. If it doesn't say that, don't get it. It won't do you any good. Borax you can still get just about anywhere. You'll find it in the Laundry soap aisle, probably up high or down low, somewhere out of your normal view. The usual brand is "20 Mule Team Borax." I have no clue what that means unless they're referring to the strength of twenty mules to get the stains out my clothing. But some how I think the damage that twenty actual mules would do might just justify going clothes shopping. But I digress.

They are also available via amazon.com, and other places like that.

You will need a large bucket - five gallon-ish, or ten gallon-ish if you choose to do a double batch. A double batch of this stuff will last us a few months. So it's definitely worth the little effort it takes to make it.

I am including the recipe and directions at the end of this post.

I use this recipe. It works like a charm for us. I do miss the scent of commercial detergents. When we get hand-me-downs for the baby, I find myself sniffing the clothes for the aroma. But that can also be remedied by using Lavender water or rose water in the mixture.
This is NOT stain pre-treater. I have not found a good one of those yet. So hang on to your Shout and your Stain Sticks. Once I find a good stain pre-treater, I'll let you all know.

I am a big fan of it. With as expensive as laundry detergent is, and how fast we go through those little bottles, even the big bottles, here's an alternative. Good luck and Good Washing!

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/04/09/making-your-own-laundry-detergent-a-detailed-visual-guide/

No comments:

Post a Comment