Sunday, May 16, 2010

Favorite Movie of the Moment: The Brothers Bloom




My current favorite movie is The Brothers Bloom.


I heard about this movie, I don't know how long ago. What I saw was not the official trailer. What I saw was the opening sequence which is what I posted above. (waits while you watch it.)

From the moment I saw those seven minutes, I was hooked. Absolutely hooked.

When I finally saw it, I loved it. It held up to the opening sequence, and I didn't stop smiling through the entire film.

The cast is just lovely. Mark Ruffalo as the big brother, Adrien Brody is the younger brother (oh how I love Adrien Brody....), Rachel Weiz is the woman who collects hobbies, and the nitro glycerin artist... It's just a great big fantastic film with moments that seem preposterously silly but completely true in the context of the film. And for as much as this is a film about an amazingly complex Con, the truth is never too far from the surface. They are so close that we often find ourselves wondering which is truth and which is the con?

The writing is great. Quirky, fun, smart. There's no bad writing moments in this entire film. It's all so randomly eccentric that it makes complete sense and the authenticity of the story resonates.

I don't know why it's not better known. It should be.

This is one of the very few movies that I immediately wanted to watch it again the moment it ended, into the next day, into the next week. So much that it we found it used by someone on amazon.com.

So go make it a Redbox night, or a Netflix night, and go enjoy yourselves some Brothers Bloom.














No comments:

Post a Comment